[TR] TR3 back up light question

tr3bob at cox.net tr3bob at cox.net
Wed Mar 19 04:19:53 MST 2008

Why would you want a B.U. light on your TR3 Dave?

I tend to be a "strictly stock" guy to a fault and once had a friend ask me why the aftermarket electric fuel pump on his TR3 kept  burning up. He had previously replaced 3 in a year.

I don't consider myself an expert in the TR 3 by any means and will often look to the list for advice but told him that I thought he might have tapped into an already overloaded unfused circuit to power up the pump.

I told him that he should go back to the stock mechanical pump and offered to rebuild it for him......viola!!....success.

I think the electrical system in the TR3 is marginal at best and guess I would be a little concerned about overloading the lamp circuit in the rear of the car.

I wouldn't "tap" into any exisiting wires, but run separate 18ga wires directly from the fuse block. If you use the gearbox switch, just make sure you don't overload it.

FWIW

Bob Stahlbush, pres British Motorcars of NE (2001-2006)

60 TR3A
66 MGB
70 BSA T-Bolt
70 BSA Lightning