[TR] OD Question

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Fri Mar 14 05:32:08 MST 2008

In a message dated 3/13/2008 5:48:16 PM Central Daylight Time,
OKCSpitfire at sbcglobal.net writes:
> I have a 78 Spitfire J type over drive that I installed in my 76 Spit. I
> noticed the other day while driving it I was going up a hill and the engine
> began racing but not gaining speed. It was like the clutch was slipping  but
> it has a new clutch. Can the OD slip? If so does it mimic a slipping clutch?

Yes, it may, for reasons already discussed.  But don't fall into the trap (as
I have on many occasions) that just because the clutch is new that it is
good.  Especially with some of the questionable quality parts that seem to find
their way into distribution.  Also, it is possible that the hydraulics are the
problem and not releasing the clutch completely.

Does the slipping seem to occur more predominately in lower gears (as would
be the case if it were the OD) or in higher gears (which would suggest the
foot-operated clutch)?

I suggest further investigate the clutch before you tear into the
transmission.  (But check fluid level first)

Dave