[TR] TR3A hydraulic reservoir

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Mar 13 14:05:40 MST 2008

> The
> reservoir has an internal baffle surrounding the outlet on
> the right of the
> tank which is labeled "Clutch".

Joe, I don't recall whether it's the right or left fitting.  But you are
correct, the smaller center reservoir should be for the clutch.

Also, the pipe labeled 'clutch' in the SPC is used for the brakes on LHD
cars; likewise the pipe labeled 'brakes' is used for the clutch on LHD cars.
Since I don't recall there being any markings on my reservoirs, I'm
wondering perhaps if the markings you see are for a RHD car ?

Not sure it makes a lot of difference ... the reason for having a larger
reservoir for the brakes is to supply the extra fluid capacity of the front
calipers as the pads wear.  But the pads wear slowly enough that any TR3
owner today is bound to notice the low level long before it becomes
dangerous, and top up the reservoir.  Of course, then it may overflow when
new pads are installed, but that's a problem anyway.

Randall