[TR] Pistons Sticking - HS4 Carbs

Nolan foxtrapper at aceweb.com
Tue Mar 11 17:47:56 MST 2008

Take the cap off, with the piston and spring.

Flip it over on the work bench.  Push the piston down to the bottom (top if
it was right side up), let go, and watch it rise.

It should smoothly and steadily rise up and out.  In which case you know the
problem is with the needle fouling the jet.  Bet it off center or bent.

If the piston does not rise smoothly and steadily up and out of the cap, the
problem is in there.  This is almost always unrepairable, and best dealt
with by replacing the assembly.

If you're feeling curious, you can do both pistons at the same time.   They
should rise and pop out together at the same time.  Well, almost exactly the
same time.  In good shape, it's very close.