[TR] Balanced Thermostats

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Mar 11 17:09:25 MST 2008

> Does anyone have a recommendation for a 'Balanced Sleeve
> Thermostat' that will work in our Triumphs?

RobertShaw 330-180 will fit TR3-6 (not sure about TR2, Spitfires, etc.).
Also sold under the Prestone name (look for the part number).  Also fits
early Stags, but not the later ones with the 'foot' to close off the bypass
(which probably also means not TR7).

Obviously, it lacks the sleeve to block off the bypass on the TR3-4 as well.
But I couldn't find that blocking the bypass made any difference at all on
my car, so YMMV.  Research seems to indicate that the factory agreed, they
eventually started using a non-sleeved thermostat and approved it for
replacement use on earlier engines.

Randall