[TR] Balanced Thermostats

v6spitfireguy at cox.net v6spitfireguy at cox.net
Tue Mar 11 11:17:17 MST 2008

FWIW
I used one of these in my 40 Ford Triumph parts hauler (Ford 289, C4 auto,
down flow 4 core aluminum radiator, engine driven flex fan, shrouded).  I
tried several brands, all with the same result.  These are the ones with a
can on the end and three oval holes.  Supposed to allow more coolant flow,
better control with higher water pressure etc.  The temp would fluctuate
about twenty degrees, and would get hot on hot days with the air on. It
would take forever to warm up and was not very constant. In fact, on really
cold days it would not even warm up fully on the 15 mile drive to work on
the freeway. I replaced all of these improved versions of the thermostat
(three of them, I really tried) with the conventional pop up type and now
my temp remains constant even with the air on on hot days, and warms up
very quickly - Now that was my experience, yours may vary, but I for one
will continue with the old standard, albeit stainless, thermostat -