[TR] TR4 rebuild/new brake lines?

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Mar 11 16:44:55 MST 2008

> With the engine out
> the front end brake lines are a straight-forward replacement,
> but from there back it looks like a job and a half. Has
> anyone out there done this?

I've not done a TR4, but it should be essentially identical to a TR3A and
they look pretty easy; other than having to work under the car on your back.
The lines that run along the rear axle are the hardest, but the only really
important part is being sure they can't get pinched or abraded by the axle
check straps.  The shape at the straps is kind of complicated, so pictures
of the routing before you remove the old ones would be a really good idea,
IMO.

> Also, I would go with Moss's cupro-nickel kit and a bending
> tool from my FLAPS.

Check to see how sharp a radius bend it will make.  Some of the original
bends are really short (like at the rear brake cylinders).  I was lucky
enough to find a tool that would do 1/2" radius bends, but I have no idea
where to find one today (and it's still not quite as tight as some of the
factory bends).  And even then, I had to modify it to put the bend close to
the nut (cut a notch for the nut to fit into).

Randall