[TR] Run out.

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Mar 10 12:10:53 MST 2008

> My experience was that the grease seal will not completely
> seat using this method.  If it does not completely seat it
> produces run out at the hub.

Just my opinion, Tom, that would indicate to me that you weren't getting the
bearing properly adjusted.  This has apparently been a common problem ever
since the cars were new, as the factory revised the procedure several times
in what looks to me to be attempts to solve this problem.  At any rate, that
seal cannot possibly produce anywhere near the normal forces on the bearing,
so if it can cause the bearing to deflect, there is something else wrong.

To put it another way, any runout produced by that seal is not significant,
because it will disappear when the hub is loaded.

Of course, you can get some apparent runout from the normal clearance in the
bearings; so for an accurate measurement you really need to remove the
clearance.

Randall