[TR] oil out breather?

CarlSereda at aol.com CarlSereda at aol.com
Sun Mar 9 12:29:03 MST 2008

John,
Oil pressure at idle seems more normal at 15# than 50# and your oil drip at
breather pipe - well, seems a little early to tell if a problem... (might
always have a drip or two). I believe the way the internal engine air circulation
works is air is sucked into top of motor thru gauze cap and blown (albeit
slightly) down and out the side crankcase 'draft' tube.. I think the spinning
crankshaft creates this vacuum and expelling action. At road speed the under-car
draft also helps draw out crankcase gasses. I'd think you're bound to get a drip
or two with the oil mist inside being so close to the draft tube. TR4 draft
tubes are designed to minimize oil loss and have a little baffle inside - not
sure about your earlier version.
Carl
-------------------
Hi all, got my carbs back from Burlen after full re-build, very
pleased BTW, fitted up and set up to run, I have noticed a drop in oil
pressure which was 50psi at tick over, now down to about 15 when fully
warm, looking around I noticed a very small pool of oil under the
engine breather pipe, does this suggest any particular condition, this
is an engine that has yet to go on the road, all running has been in
the garage to date.
1954 TR2
regards
John<BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms, and advice