[TR] [6pack] Synthetic Oil Engine Damage

Mike Denman mikedenman at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 8 11:29:28 MST 2008

I once changed the oil in my father-in -laws car since he was over at
the house and I was changing the oil in my cars. His car was similar
to the car in the article in that it too had low milage comprised
almost entirely of short trips. I drained the oil and my highly
chromed Snap On socket dropped into the hot oil. I retrieved the
socket as I waited for the last of the oil to drain. The coat of oil
on the socket was unbelievable. I couldn't get the gooey/tar like oil
off the very slick socket with out using a solvent. I can only imagine
what the inside of the engine must have looked like. It happened to be
a Ford with a 289 that continued to run "fine" and was eventually
traded in on another Ford.
Mike Denman