[TR] 80 TR8 - Delco Alternator - engine wiring harness

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Mar 7 08:26:29 MST 2008

> The small brown wire (or what would be the small brown wire
> if it hadn't been replaced) is connected to the output bolt
> terminal on the Delco and another wire on the output bolt
> terminal goes to the "2" terminal on the Delco.

Jack, is there also a large brown wire that goes from the output terminal to
the starter solenoid ?

> Its worked fine like this for years, but this small brown
> wire was  burned throughout most of the engine harness
> sometime in the past

If the large brown was absent or not connected; and the small brown
connected to the output terminal, that would explain why it burned.  That
would have it carrying the full output of the alternator to the battery/rest
of car; but it is sized only as a 'sense' lead to bring battery voltage to
the voltage regulator inside the alternator.

> So my question is wouldn't things work just as well if I
> connect the  small brown wire to "2" on the Delco - without
> it also connected to the output  bolt terminal?

Assuming you do have the heavy brown wire, I believe that would be better.

BTW, the brown/yellow should just go to the warning lamp on the dash,
meaning it carries very little current.  Likely it was damaged only by
proximity to the burned small brown wire.

Randall