[TR] 80 TR8 - Delco Alternator - engine wiring harness

McGaheyRx at aol.com McGaheyRx at aol.com
Fri Mar 7 08:02:12 MST 2008

I'm replacing the engine wiring harness in my TR8 - I'm a little concerned
about the way a Delco Alternator (conversion by previous owner) is wired.

The small brown wire (or what would be the small brown wire if it hadn't
been replaced) is connected to the output bolt terminal on the Delco and another
wire on the output bolt terminal goes to the "2" terminal on the Delco.

Its worked fine like this for years, but this small brown wire was  burned
throughout most of the engine harness sometime in the past and was  replaced by
a heavier gauge wire completely outside the engine harness (prior to  my
custody of the car) - so was the small brown/yellow alternator wire.

So my question is wouldn't things work just as well if I connect the  small
brown wire to "2" on the Delco - without it also connected to the output  bolt
terminal?
Is there any risk to the small brown and brown/yellow wires in the engine
harness if i reconnect everything like it was?

Thanks,
Jack Mc