[TR] Freeze Plug Problem?

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Mar 6 06:38:15 MST 2008

> So, if I need to replace it, how do
> I remove it? And any installation suggestions or techniques?

If it's loose as you say, it will leak oil.  Best to replace it.

Usual removal method is to drive something through it (like a cheap
screwdriver) and pry it out, being careful not to catch and chip the edge of
the block.

Kind of sounds like yours was installed backwards.  When new, they are
dome-shaped.  You install with the convex part of the dome outwards, then
tap with a hammer until it's flat, which expands the edge and theoretically
locks it into place.  Normally I use a generous smear of Permatex #3 around
both the notch where it fits and the edge of the plug.  In extreme cases (eg
where the edge has been damaged), JB Weld.

Randall