[TR] Narrowing in on a lost commission number

Bob Labuz yellowtr at adelphia.net
Wed Mar 5 17:49:14 MST 2008

On Wednesday 05 March 2008 06:53 pm, nwolf at u.washington.edu wrote:
> Hi Bob
>    The "body-in-white" number is stamped into a welded-on tag in the left
> rear wheel well, just behind and above the rear axle.  According to
> Piggott's book, they were in place before the bodies got their final paint
> color (hence the name). Here's a photo of the general area on a different
> car:
> http://tinyurl.com/2vqnbq
>
> and a close-up of mine after I scraped off some paint with a penny:
> http://tinyurl.com/yuwbuf
>
>    They are very mysterious.  If you ask me, it's pretty ironic that there
> is no database for the one ID tag that's actually welded to the body tub.
> Let's see if we can fix that.  :) Numbers, anyone?  I don't think this is
> just a TR4 phenomenon... -Nick

Nick,

I just went in the garage to see if I could see this tag and yes it is there.

But I cannot read the number as I would have to remove the wheel to get a
better look.

The tag, as well as the rest of the car has a fresh coat of DCC and it is very
glossy. And I am not about to scrape off that paint.

Maybe this weekend I will be removing the tire to install the fuel pump but as
it sits right now that might have to be delayed until spring arrives.

Same reason why I havent responded to the orignal post about the vent hole
size. Tooooo cold !!

But I am sure that this is an all numbers match car!

1963 TR4.

Will report hole size and all numbers when weather gets better.

Bob