[TR] Narrowing in on a lost commission number

nwolf at u.washington.edu nwolf at u.washington.edu
Wed Mar 5 16:53:29 MST 2008

Hi Bob
   The "body-in-white" number is stamped into a welded-on tag in the left rear wheel well, just behind and above the rear axle.  According to Piggott's book, they were in place before the bodies got their final paint color (hence the name).
   Here's a photo of the general area on a different car:
http://tinyurl.com/2vqnbq

and a close-up of mine after I scraped off some paint with a penny:
http://tinyurl.com/yuwbuf

   They are very mysterious.  If you ask me, it's pretty ironic that there is no database for the one ID tag that's actually welded to the body tub.  Let's see if we can fix that.  :)
   Numbers, anyone?  I don't think this is just a TR4 phenomenon...
-Nick