[TR] Scissors Lifts and Transmissions

Geo & Kathleen Hahn ahwahnee at cybertrails.com
Mon Mar 3 12:44:35 MST 2008

Since (most or all) TR transmissions are pulled by moving up and out thru
the cockpit I would think such a lift would be neither a hinderance nor a
particular advantage for that job.  Whether using jack stands or a lift you
still need to support the rear of the engine to undo the gearbox.

These lifts look interesting but jackstands are so versatile and leave a lot
of area open under the car.  Things that usually find me under there
(exhaust, drive shaft, oil pan) I see no big advantage in the scissors and
in fact it would often be in the way.

For the gearbox I use one of these (with the ears cut off) for manuevering
the box.  Not required but makes a solo OD install less of a physical
challenge.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=39178

Geo