[TR] Clutch M/C Impact

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Mar 2 11:12:18 MST 2008

> When I drained my clutch M/C and looked inside there was dark
> gray/black gunk inside. That can't be good, so I may install
> a new clutch M/C

Just a thought : a rebuild kit is a lot cheaper and if the original bore is
in good shape, just as good as a new one.

> wonder if the early TR6 clutch M/C with a
> .75 bore is compatible with the later cars that had a .70
> bore?

It's actually a common retrofit, to band-aid "not enough travel" problems.

> And what would the impact be on clutch feel which will
> now have an hydraulic throw out bearing? Would it make it
> feel lighter or heavier?

Normally, the larger MC would make the pedal heavier (though not enough to
be objectionable, IMO, unless there's something wrong with your left leg).
However, the hydraulic TOB is supposedly lighter than the stock setup, so
the end result would probably be about the same.

> And I'll also check with Herman in
> case it impacts the tranny install.

Info on how to avoid over-stroking the hydraulic TOB should be included in
Herman's instructions.  Necessary even with the .70 MC.

Randall