[TR] Spit / GT6 tail lamp question - plastic inserts

Aribert Neumann aribert.neumann at edag-us.com
Mon Jun 30 07:04:19 MDT 2008

The tail lamps on my '71 GT6 convertible have plastic reflector inserts in
them for both the turn and stop lamps.  Does any one know if this was just
for the US market to get the lamp beam pattern to meet a specific target?
I use a brighter stop bulb and when I pulled a lamp asm off to replace the
stop  & turn lenses (I figured after 37 years it was time to renew the
lenses to get more light transmitting thru) I noticed that the plastic
reflector around the stop lens had begun to melt.  I am thinking of just
removing the plastic part and am wondering if anyone in other parts of the
world have pulled the lenses off of '71 or newer Spit or GT6 tail lamps and
were there plastic reflector inserts inserted into the chromed pot metal
housing.  TIA