[TR] Keeping cool - the end

Adrian Jones adrianjones747 at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 25 16:21:04 MDT 2008

OK folks,

Thanks for all the responses.  Just think, I've been roasting all these years thinking I'm doing the engine some good by keeping that tap open when in reality it may have been hurting things.  Ah well, at least I have been spared making up some half-assed plumbing job that would probably leak all over the place.  Ha!  Thanks Randall also for the link to McMasters - wow they have everything!

The plan now is to close the tap but open it up now and again just to keep the (now hated) core happy.  I've already added one of those bottles of stuff that lubricates the water pump - I think the bottle said it also inhibits rust.  Maybe that'll help keep the core in good condition.
I'll also invest in one of those skirted thermostats and make sure the bypass hose is not plugged.

I've installed a "yellow" plastic fan (runs backwards but apparently not much loss in cooling effect) and insatlled a "pusher" electric fan that I turn on in traffic.  So hopefully I'll not need the extra cooling from the core.  We'll see!

Cheers from North Carolina
Adrian  TS 58324