[TR] Keeping cool in a TR3

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Jun 24 22:56:24 MDT 2008

> I'm afraid of turning it off because the back cylinder may
> develop hot spots.

Honestly, I think having it on is more likely to cause problems.  The normal
water flow is through the head and down into the block.  By tapping out of
the head, you are reducing the flow around the #4 liner, which is a common
trouble spot (mostly because it tends to get full of silt).

> None of these options has both a valve and a T-junction.  The
> guy at Home Despot says I need to learn how to "sweat" joints
> but I don't think I'm up for that.
>
> Any thoughts on this?

Quit shopping at Home Despot !  MMC has valves and tees in a wide variety of
materials ... your biggest problem will be deciding which ones to use <g>
http://www.mcmaster.com/

But since you already have a mixture of brass and cast iron, I wouldn't
worry about it.

Randall