[TR] Keeping cool in a TR3

Adrian Jones adrianjones747 at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 24 18:24:27 MDT 2008

Hi folks,

As I understand it, Triumph meant for the coolant tap on the engine block to be turned off in summer.
I'm afraid of turning it off because the back cylinder may develop hot spots.  That, and in emergencies it is nice to employ the heater core for extra engine cooloing.  Plus, if the heater core is isloated for any length of time I'm worried it might act up.

Therefore, a major source of cabin/cockpit heat for me is the heater core, even without the heater fan on.

I'm thinking of teeing off the tap - one line, with a on/off valve, would route back to the cooling inlet at the front of the engine and the other line, also with on/off valve, would go to the heater core.
That way, I could decide in the morning whether to have the heater core active or not.
Hope that makes sense.

Anyhoos, it looks to my non-plumber mind that there is 3 different plumbing options:
Galvanized iron pipe
Brass pipe
Compression-fitting brass pipe.

None of these options has both a valve and a T-junction.  The guy at Home Despot says I need to learn how to "sweat" joints but I don't think I'm up for that.

Any thoughts on this?

Cheers, Adrian (Hot 'n Bothered in NC)