[TR] bottom trunnion grease fitting size?

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Jun 15 22:36:40 MDT 2008

> The driver's side brass truunion is missing it's bottom
> grease fitting.  I was hoping it would be an easy replacement
> as I had several sizes of fittings in my shop.  None of them
> 'caught' any kind of thread or anything, but, a fine threaded
> 5/16" bolt seem to come the closest (it didn't really thread either).

Paul, I just checked an old trunnion from the junk box, and it took a
standard 1/8" NPT grease zerk.  If a 1/8 NPT zerk won't thread into your
trunnion, then I'd guess it's missing because the threads are stripped.
Might be metric I guess, but I've not heard of anyone supplying trunnions
that take metric grease fittings (and I'm guessing a 1/8 NPT would go into a
M10x1 hole anyway).

Offhand I don't see any way to repair them without taking the trunnion off
the car, so you can clean it up and try to braze or glue a repair.

>     I believe this size fitting is also used above the ball joints.

ISTR the grease fittings on the ball joints use 1/4-28 threads into the BJ,
rather than the 1/8 NPT.

Randall