[TR] TR3A Wiring

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Jun 14 16:47:29 MDT 2008

> The four wires that
> come out of the stator tube  do not match in color to the
> diagram.

Neither did the apparently original ones on my 59 TR3A.  It's my belief that
the subharness through the column changed, but the diagram was never
updated.

> Rather than go into into great detail here, does anyone have
> a  wiring diagram for a 60 3A, and is it expected to be
> different that the  Bentley?

Definitely different; there are at least 5 different wiring diagrams.  But I
never finished my project to map diagrams to change points; and the latest
diagram I have (from Practical Hints 6th Edition) which does seem to show
all the other late wiring changes; still doesn't match the colors I found in
that harness on my car.  Also by now, someone has certainly had the control
head apart and may not have put the wires back on the right terminals.

>  The stator tube issue and the
> connections on the right and left  inner wings is the problem.

My suggestion is to ignore the colors, and check the wires with an ohmmeter
or powered test lamp.  That's what I do every time I have it apart (since
many of my original colors are faded to illegibility anyway).

For the wiring to the control head, it's easy.  The horn wire (brown/black
in the diagram) is a heavier gauge, so it's easy to spot.

That leaves 3 wires.  Set the lever for right turn, and check each pair of
wires for continuity.  You should find two wires that have continuity; the
third, open wire is for the left turn signals (green/red in the diagram).

Now set the lever for left turn and check again.  The wire you identified as
green/red before should now have continuity to another wire, that wire is
power to the control head (green in the diagram).

The remaining wire (open in the last test) is the green/white to the right
turn signals.

Randall