[TR] [6pack] Compression boost

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Jun 13 22:57:07 MDT 2008

> I wonder how much difference there is between 9.5 and 9.0 compression.
> I could bump it  up.
> As a daily driver, I prefer not to have to run premium.

I don't recall the equation offhand, but the maximum torque of a car engine
can be predicted reasonably accurately from just displacement and
compression ratio.  It follows that higher compression means more efficiency
(IOW more power from the same amount of fuel or less fuel for the same
power).

So usually (tho not always), running the CR up until you need premium fuel
actually lowers the cost per mile slightly.  You pay more per gallon, but
the better fuel mileage more than compensates for it.

Assuming of course you don't use that extra power too often <G>

Randall