[TR] [6pack] Compression boost

Michael Porter mdporter at dfn.com
Fri Jun 13 21:42:47 MDT 2008

Alan Salvatore wrote:
> I wonder how much difference there is between 9.5 and 9.0 compression.
> I could bump it  up.
> As a daily driver, I prefer not to have to run premium.

I think it depends upon how chamber preparation one does. Milling the
head and just slapping it on will likely cause problems, if only because
of the sharp edges from the milling.  Attending to those, and a little
smoothing of the rough edges here and there in the chamber will go a
long way toward keeping the pre-ignition effects to a minimum.

Some of it is dependent upon chamber shape--there are new cars out there
that are running 87 octane on 10.5:1 compression--but, taking care of
the obvious burrs, projections, etc., will help.

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....