[TR] TR2/3 starter question

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Jun 11 17:28:19 MDT 2008

> Then I found out that the
> previous owner who had intended to restore the car, must have
> inadvertently sourced the wrong starter.

I doubt Angelo will have this problem, but perhaps this bears repeating for
others :

There are two different gear-drive starters, depending on whether your
TR2-4A motor has the early flywheel with the press-fit ring gear; or one of
the later flywheels with the bolt-on ring gear.  Since the flywheels are
interchangeable to a large extent, you need to be sure which one you have
before ordering the starter.

At least one seller on eBay seems to be unaware of this distinction, and is
offering the later type starter even for the early cars.  It won't work ...

Randall