[TR] TR2/3 starter question

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Wed Jun 11 16:58:27 MDT 2008

> Wondering on the wisdom of having my TR2 starter "rebuilt" before I
> install it into my rebuilt engine.  On the other hand, what about foregoing the old starter and going to > one of the gear reduction units?

Angelo, I have a different "spin" (joke intended, just making it all the more pathetic) but the same advice as the others.

When I brought my '59 TR3A restoration project home and tore it apart, I immediately took the bullet nose starter in to a local guy who did a great (I guess) job of restoring it.  Probably didn't need much.  Then I found out that the previous owner who had intended to restore the car, must have inadvertently sourced the wrong starter.  Had I installed it, trouble.  Thanks to Randall and others on the List, I caught the error before going live with the car, so to speak, and sourced one of the gear reduction starters.

It is a source of not inconsiderable pride that, in the parking garage at work, my car, albeit with electronic ignition, starts in a fraction of a second.  The general public thinks I'm one heck of a mechanic to keep such an old car starting at a touch.  Who am I to confuse them with the truth?

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hampshire