[TR] Triumphs Digest, Vol 2, Issue 284

AMfoto1 at aol.com AMfoto1 at aol.com
Tue Jun 10 19:05:07 MDT 2008

Hi Bob,

I never found a socket thin enough to fit in there.

So finally I replaced all four bolts with high grade, socket headed bolts and
my life has been much easier ever since.

The old trick I used before this rather simple solution found it's way into
my brain was to hold the bolt from turning by wedging a large flat blade
screwdriver between one of the flats of the bolt head and the wall of the shock
absorber. I was never very confident that things were getting properly tightened
that way, or that I wouldn't someday crack the shock body (that never happened
though). Works pretty well for removal, though, since the bolts were never
properly tightened to begin with. I think even Triumph left them pretty loose,
straight from the factory.

Cheers!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
_amfoto1 at aol.com_ (mailto:amfoto1 at aol.com)
'62 TR4 CT17602L (a perpertual work in progress)

Hello,

I just finished tightening the 2 bolts/nuts that hold the right rear shock.

I would like to use a socket wrench but my sockets all are too big to fit
that small area.

Does anyone know where I might get a 9/16 inch thin wall socket for this
application?

I used a box wrench on the bolt but had to use an open end wrench at an
angle on the  nut. Really cant torque it down like I want too.

My sockets are Craftman 1/2 and 3/8 " drive.

Thanks for the help.

Bob