[TR] [6pack] starter or battery

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Mon Jun 9 06:23:47 MDT 2008

In a message dated 6/8/2008 2:28:57 PM Central Daylight Time,
mhooper at digiscreen.ca writes:
> It appears that the battery is at fault. If I put a set of jumpers on
> from the city car then the TR6 fires right up.
>
> So, the battery would seem to have lost it's charge and is not charging.
> Strangely it is not hot which often happens when a cell shorts out and
> the charger is left on.

Mark, batteries fail in several different modes.  Shorted cell is one failure
mode but loss of plate area which appears as an open is another.  In this
case the current capacity reduces.  Actually this is very typical in batteries
during their expected life cycle.  But since most batteries are oversized no one
notices until it gets really severe.  For a good, quick read on batteries try
this:
http://www.power-sonic.com/index.php?id=42
Click on Technical Manual

Dave