[TR] And I thought I was sweating on oil prices!!!

John Macartney standardtriumph at btinternet.com
Wed Jun 4 14:44:53 MDT 2008

Hi, Guys

The only Triumph connection I can bring to this thread is that on Sunday I found myself re-fuelling
the Triumph Trans-America UK Spitfire UK Raffle prize at a freeway gas station here in the UK. Even
topping off the tank made my eyes smart a bit (remembering UK fuel prices are usually
stratospheric) - but I had a surprise. Just as I was snapping the filler cap closed on the Spitfire,
alongside me comes a beautiful 1926 4.5 litre Bentley. The same type that raced so successfully at
Le Mans all those years ago. Driver was a most engaging individual, very friendly and responded with
humour to my comment that it would cost him the UK defence budget to re-fill. With aplomb and a
cheery smile, he loosened the Bentley's fuel cap to reveal a hole about 6 inches in diameter and a
*fairly* empty (I'd guess just under half full) but massive slab tank. In went the nozzle and while
he kept the fuel flowing, we had a pleasant chat. First time I've seen a Bentley refilled from empty
and it didn't happen in a few moments! :)
Eventually, the tank was full and I looked at the pump meter.
GBP 143.00 (equal to about US$286.00) and I commented that I hoped it would get him home.
"I hope so too. London's about 130 miles? With a bit of luck and if I keep the revs below 2000, we
ought to do it."
How much did he take on board? My calculator tells me about 25.8 imperial gallons and there were
probably about another 20 gallons still in it. So, say 50 gallons at GBPUS$554 for the full tank and
130 miles to eat it all up, it would have cost him somewhere in the region of  US$4.26 PER MILE!
Jeez, at that consumption, I guess you could work out the cost per firing impulse. Anyone care to do
it? I'm too tired.....

Jonmac

Originator of The Triumph Trans-America Charity Drive 2009
www.triumphtransamerica.org.uk

An event for full TRIUMPH Enthusiast participation