[TR] Dwell vs. Point Gap

Geo & Kathleen Hahn ahwahnee at cybertrails.com
Mon Jun 2 21:40:48 MDT 2008

Googling around for typical dwell specs on British 4 cylinder engines I found
that 60 degrees (+/-3) is pretty typical.  But I also found this:

Here are the distributor point gap specs.
Contact breaker gap 0.014 - 0.016 in (0.35 - 0.40 mm)
Dwell angle 60 degrees +/- 3 degrees (negative ground)
30 degrees +/- 3 degrees (positive ground)

Okay, this was for an Amphicar (almost a Triumph) but caused me to wonder if
it could possibly be true.

It seems counter-intuitive as 1) reducing the gap did in fact increase the
dwell and 2) the way the dwell meter connects appears to be indifferent as to
what ground polarity is.

If this is true then I'm likely to believe that it is also 60* in the UK and
30* in NZ.

Geo