[TR] TR] TR4 - Dwell v Points Gap

spamiam at comcast.net spamiam at comcast.net
Mon Jun 2 06:38:40 MDT 2008

>I find that I cannot adjust to both specs.  A .015 gap >yields a dwell of 48*
>--- a 60* dwell can only be achieved with a .008 gap.

Geo,

I have found it a little hard to be absolutely positive about the points gap.  The spring action is reasonably light, and any position of the feeler away from perfectly parallel with the points electrosed will result is a "tight" feeling.

I consider the dwell to be a more accurate measure than feel, as long as your dwell meter is accurate.

I would set the dwell to the suggested setting +/- 1 degree, I might prefer a dwell on the lower side of ideal rather than the high side because as the rubbing block wears, the dwell will tend to increase (at least I think it does).

Since the TR4 distributor is pretty easy to access, it is not that much of a PITA to adjust and readjust and readjust... until you hit the right dwell.

I found that a distributor cap for a 1970 MGB (push-in wires) with magnecore wires made a much bigger difference than the Pertronix Ignitor module for my ignition.  Plus the Pertronix magnet wheel(hub?) did not fit as securely as I would have liked on the distributor shaft, and the rotor does not seem to fit as securely with the Pertronix magnet wheel.

-Tony

-Tony