[TR] does it need to mesh?

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Jul 28 17:31:38 MDT 2008

> I ask this because (if my assumption is correct), then I will need to
> widen
> the slot a little.

Paul, Don't widen the slot !

You are quite right, the slot mates with a series of dimples in the short
tube that sticks out from the control head and fits over the end of the
stator tube.  You should be able to see the dimples looking at the outside
of the short tube.

However, the dimples need to fit the slot snugly, as otherwise the control
head will wiggle back and forth with each little turn of the steering wheel.
It moves a little bit anyway, but you don't want to make it any worse than
necessary.

What I do is leave the compression nut on the face of the steering box
somewhat loose, and start with the stator tube pushed higher inside the
steering column than usual, so it just barely protrudes from the nut.  That
way I can engage the slot as I start to install the control head, and turn
the head (and the tube with it) until it's "just so".  Then when I'm done
with the installation at the wheel, I finish tightening the nut.

Randall