[TR] Triumphs and trophys

Steven Newell steven at newellboys.net
Mon Jul 28 12:22:27 MDT 2008

Dennis N Culligan wrote:

>    OK, my car show pet peeve  -  the show-eligible cars left in
>the parking lot 'cause the owner is too "frugal" to pay the entry
>fee and support the organizing club.  The normal excuses:
>1. I'm only going to be here an hour (car is often there all day)
>2. My car won't win (neither will MOST of the cars)
>3. It's not a show car (so what? - support the club!)
>
>   I don't know about others in other parts of the country but EVERY
>British car show I have been to this year has had lower attendance
>by 1/2 to 1/3 than the year before. This includes shows in New York,
>New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Perhaps this whole "car show"
>thing is getting old...

Cost of fuel? Down economy? I'll bet that's a bigger factor than chronic
car show fatigue syndrome.

Me, I love seeing the variety of cars outside a big car show. Those
drivers didn't come for competition -- they came because they love cars.
Maybe they're first timers; someone told them about the show and they're
dipping a toe in the water. I drive my TR4 to our 500-car Brit-car
Colorado Conclave, and I drive it to the Italian and Exotic show in
Littleton, and I drive it to the grocery and to lacrosse practice and
Home Depot and... But geesh, just because I drive past a car show in an
old car doesn't mean I'm obligated to enter it. :)

Steven Newell
Littleton, Colorado USA
'62 TR4
'87 BMW 535is, 528e, 325(e)