[TR] Trophys & TR's

John Macartney standardtriumph at btinternet.com
Mon Jul 28 07:25:56 MDT 2008

Mike Moore wrote:

> I think Car Shows are used as fund raisers a lot. I really like AACA car
> shows. I belong to that club, but they do want the car the way it left the
> factory.

Well, Mike, the Stag I'll be driving across the US and Canada will certainly be raising funds for
three non-profits :)

As for it looking like "as it left the factory" I'm not so sure. While I'm greatly indebted to all
the work that Joe Pawlak and his team of valiant restorers have been and will be putting into the
rebuild (Glenn Merrell says he wants it as a near concours finished article) I'm hoping it *will*
feature:

A fire extinguisher in the rally car location
Absolutely none of those crappy bent wire hose clamps that knacker the hoses in three nano-seconds!
I've specified worm drive type on the grounds that if they were good enough for Rolls Royce, Aston
Martin, Jaguar and a few others - they're good enough for me :) What's more, if the car does appear
with them in place when I first meet it, they'll be coming off immediately :)
Instrumentation-wise, I'm hoping the engine temp gauge will be replaced by the dual type gauge seen
on MGB's and the like that have an oil pressure / temp gauge fed by !!!capillary tubes!!! and not
electric. If the temp reads in Celsius, so much the better.
But "as it left the factory" in terms of other appearances?
Perhaps the whole car should be sprayed with industrial lanolin and have various factory stickers
inside the windscreen. BTW, I've replicated these stickers and will soon be uploading them to the
website www.triumphtransamerica.org.uk for enthusiasts to print off for their cars when at Concours
events. Those are intended as fundraisers, as will the replica Standard-Triumph factory logbook
issued with all company cars. Then there are the replica Standard Triumph tax disc holders - and
hey, why don't I get a UK style licence plate made up for the front or rear of the car? Are there
any States where such a 'trophy' cannot be legally displayed?

One thing is certain. This Stag won't look like its just off the line after 11,000 miles methinks...

Jonmac