[TR] Stromberg help

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Jul 27 17:25:32 MDT 2008

> Early Stromberg carburetor (1970 TR6, 175 CD-2, tags missing)
> has bronze?
> slotted fuel bowl plug. Does this plug unscrew CCW?

That's the way I remember it, tho I could be mistaken.  May be very tight,
so be sure to use something that fits the slot as best you can manage and
hold it into the slot firmly as you're turning it.  Normally there's really
no reason to remove it, as you can pull the float chamber off over the brass
part to access the floats, float valve, O-ring, gasket, etc.

> A PO removed crankcase hoses from these carburetors. If I restore
> the hoses it will change the mixture?

Some, but mostly at idle.

> Is this style
> carburetor mixture adjustable with the tool?

1970 was a transition year, so it depends on whether you've got the early or
late carbs.

Probably the easiest way to tell (if you don't have the tool) is to remove
the setscrew in the side of the piston.  If it has a spring-loaded tip, the
needle is adjustable.

> What would be
> best carburetor manual Haynes TECHBOOK 10240?

The series of articles on the Buckeye Triumphs website is much more useful,
IMO.  Even though they don't have as much information about carbs you don't
have <G>

http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/technical.htm

Randall