[TR] TR6 question

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Jul 26 08:35:15 MDT 2008

> Anyway the mechanic says it has a problem with the smog
> system causing it to run rich.

Betcha nickel he's wrong.  Some other problem affecting mixture and he
doesn't know what, so he blames the smog system.  Could be a fuel-soaked
canister as Dave says, but that would say there was some other problem
allowing fuel to get into it in the first place.  And once the source is
eliminated, the canister will dry out on it's own; if the purge line is
hooked up properly.

> Does something need to be replaced and if so are the parts available?

I believe pretty much everything is readily available; either new
reproductions, good used, or suitable substitutes.

> Also there is a draw on the battery when everything is turned
> off. Not sure how to go about that but maybe a multi meter
> etc and help from the list.

Yup, should be pretty easy.  First place I would look is the anti-runon
solenoid hanging under the carbon canister.  It is supposed to get power
only when the key is off, and then only be grounded when the engine has oil
pressure.

> My current cars are a pale yellow 3A and a spa white 4. What
> should that 3rd Triumph be?

How about a nice blue, like Wedgwood or maybe French ?

> Can an old guy learn what makes a 75 TR6 tick?

Yes, and fix that, too!
<G>

Randall