[TR] u-joint installation

Ibsen Dow flashtr3 at cox.net
Fri Jul 25 07:10:26 MDT 2008

Peter,

I have done this job countless times especially on the rear TR3 u-joint. I was
constantly having to replace that one over a period of thirty years several
times over that time period, with increasing frequency. As Dave mentioned, I
too decided to let the pros do it for once and they found that the rear yoke
was bad. It was causing the rear u-joints to fail faster then normal. I also
found that the splines on the drive shaft were badly worn, and that they could
not balance the driveshaft for me. I would have to rebuild the complete shaft
if I wanted to eliminate any vibration. They installed splicer components
(very expensive, but high quality) and now the driveshaft is like new, if not
better. No vibration & very smooth in operation.

When I went into the shop they quoted me $65.00 for r&r the u-joints and
balancing the shaft. I was to supply the u-joints. My recommendation for your
TR6 would be to have the pros in your area check your shaft, mount your
u-joints & balance. Save your time for other maint issues, like... did you
stop the oil leaks, and tidy up the engine compartment yet?

Best regards,

Ibsen
'59 TR3
'71 TR6