[TR] (no subject)

MMoore8425 at aol.com MMoore8425 at aol.com
Wed Jul 23 09:17:18 MDT 2008

In a message dated 7/23/2008 8:06:19 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
opposumking at verizon.net writes:

The  A-type has a pressure accumulator as I recall.  That all by itself would

give it an advantage over the later J-type.  You can more safely play  games
with allowing the unit to engage in 2nd or even 1st gear.  Both  units are
more than robust enough for the modest power of even a highly  modified TR3.
The A-type is period correct for the car.

The ability  to flick a switch in multiple gears seems neat and does have
some  potential performance gains.  But, I'm one of those who's never found
flipping that switch very convenient, and quite frequently forget to
disengage the OD when I come to stops.  Accordingly, I'd prefer a  mechanical
5-speed, like the Toyota transmission conversion for  driving.  I've had both
setups, and for driving, much prefer the  5-speed transmission to an electric
overdrive

Possum King,

I enjoy the A type in my TR3A, I used a Stag gearshift lever with a Stag OD
switch so my OD switch is where it was originally envisioned by the  factory.

When Walter  Mitty is driving around the hills with one hand on the  lever,
its a simple matter to just flick the
switch in the knob to rapidly downshift from 2nd OD to 2nd.

The problems is that many of these ODs are becoming  seriously worn and
require extensive remachining etc. to bring them up to  factory spec. Many parts
are difficult to source with the degree of quality we  would want. Herman began
his transmission venture originally by rebuilding OD  transmissions and before
long discovered all the sourcing problems could be  eliminated by using
Toyota trannys.

Mike Moore

FanHouse Fantasy Football today.