[TR] removing rust in block

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Jul 18 14:08:53 MDT 2008

> Along the same lines, I have a GT6 that I believe is running hot. I
> removed the thermostat & noticed a ton of garbage in the thermostat/pump
> housing. The passage over to the intake was nearly blocked with rusty
> metal bits. This leads me to believe that there is other stuff in the
> passages that needs to come out. I've flushed with water several
> times...keeping the system going until no brown stuff came out, but more
> brown stuff keeps showing up. My question is, do the chemical flushes
> work?

Apparently, the 'good' flushes have been taken off the market; at least I
can't find them on local shelves any more.  But my local radiator shop has a
process where they blow a mixture of water and air through the engine, that
seems to work well.

The other thing you can try is removing the plug (or valve) on the side of
the block, and probing through the hole with a stiff wire.  Then flush water
out the hole until it runs clear.  Lather, rinse, repeat as necessary.

Randall