[TR] Jonmac's proposed trip to Watkins Glen - Sept 2008

John Macartney standardtriumph at btinternet.com
Wed Jul 16 17:17:30 MDT 2008

Listers,

Sorry to enter the fray with an essentially travel-related query - but it does have a strong Triumph
flavour.

Subject to health issues at home affecting close relatives, I'm planning on making it to Watkins
Glen in early September this year for "the Big Bash.". I did put out a request to the FoT list and
while I got a few replies, they weren't enough to enable me to make specific decisions. So, my
thoughts are as follows:

1. It looks like New York is the nearest international airport for inbound flights from the UK, with
JFK being the most popular airport. Does anyone know of an *international* airport closer to the
Glen?
2. Is anyone in the New York area going to the Glen with whom I could beg a ride from NY? I'm more
than happy to make meaningful contributions to fuel and meet all my subsistence costs.
3. Failing 2 above, I have plenty of experience of 'driving on the wrong side of the road' (i.e. in
LH steer cars) and will rent a car. Any suggestions on airport car rental organisations who don't
build the NATO defence budget into their rates? I'd be happy with something small like a VW
Golf/Rabbit (diesel preferred) and I might even *lower* myself to taking the wheel of a Ford.

Thoughts ladies and gentlemen? An enquiring mind wishes to know :)

Jonmac

Originator of The Triumph Trans-America Charity Drive 2009
www.triumphtransamerica.org.uk

An event for full TRIUMPH Enthusiast participation