[TR] Delrin Replacements to Silent-bloc

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Jul 14 22:10:22 MDT 2008

> "The TR3 frame flexes considerably and hard mounted
> components would wear quickly....". This makes sense to me. I
> had not thought about this.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but it seems to me that the brass/SS
replacements from BFE would fall into that category.  I probably only put
50,000 miles on them, but I didn't see any signs of premature wear.  I do
agree that the TR3 frame flexes considerably (especially the way I drive
<g>), but IMO relatively little of the flex causes the two steering mount
points to move in a way that would increase the strain on the center link
pivots (Silentblocs).  And the flex would have to take up all the clearances
(especially in the idler arm, which is kind of sloppy) before any extra
force would be transmitted to the pivots.

Unfortunately (in regards to the original question), I did a lot of other
things at the same time; so I can't say how much of the improvement was due
to the Silentbloc replacements.  But the improvement was considerable; and I
expect Joe's version to be even better.

Randall