[TR] Delrin Replacements to Silent-bloc

N197TR4 at cs.com N197TR4 at cs.com
Mon Jul 14 19:44:16 MDT 2008

Bill & AnnaBelle <anabil007 at comcast.net> wrote:

"I have  done this and the change is remarkable,  bump steer is gone,
I can imagine the "power" need to turn the wheel is less, but that is
still under revision, I can tell you that the highway steering is
rock solid and very predictable."

There has been a lot of speculation on why the rubber embedded "Silent-blocs"
were used in production Triumphs.  Such as....Self Centering & Road Feedback
Isolation.

I spent time with a Triumph Guru from London, while at Mosport, recently.  He
added something plausible.  Here it is:

"The TR3 frame flexes considerably and hard mounted components would wear
quickly....". This makes sense to me. I had not thought about this.

My friend Jon Woods (UK) voluntarily applauded the Delrin Version, as Delrin
has compliance and lubricity.

Outside of that, I have had glowing reports on the precise handling and no
complaints on steering effort, if not an outright perception of improvement.

It would seem that Delrin may be the best solution in a world of compromise.
You can thank TRF for asking me to pursue this. I might have gotten lucky with
the design. Of course later on, while talking to Jack Wheeler (National SCCA
Champ) he told me he did this in Nylon about 15 years ago. (There are few
original ideas, I am afraid)

Finally, it is difficult to get good rubber components from Taiwan.  It's a
shame to put the rubber in only to have it deteriorate while it sits there.
You should never have to replace a Delrin replacement during your lifetime.

Thanks for the kind words, Bill.  The comment about 'bump steer' was cause
for pause. Might not be actual bump steer, as I visualize it, but a close
cousin? Good point...with bad rubber, the toe in/toe out might be changing
constantly. Anyone?

Thanks!

Joe A

   </HTML>