[TR] Spitfire build quantity

John Macartney standardtriumph at btinternet.com
Mon Jul 14 11:52:39 MDT 2008

In a recent VTR e-zine, the following statement was made about the Spitfire.

'Long looked upon as the "entry level" Triumph, the Spitfire has been popular for a many years. Its
popularity and affordability made it the longest running Triumph production (1962-1980) and the
largest production numbers (314,332) of any Triumph produced. '

I don't know who wrote this but that person's info is more than misleading. The Spitfire was by no
means the largest produced in terms of absolute production numbers at 314,332 units.of which US take
was 139719 units - or 44%
The most-produced car by Standard Triumph post-war was the Herald at 626329 units. The US offtake
for Herald was 23656 units - or 3.8%
My information source was work I undertook at BMIHT Gaydon some years ago in which Michael Cook's
book "Triumph Across America" was very helpful in apportioning US content.

Jonmac

Originator of The Triumph Trans-America Charity Drive 2009
www.triumphtransamerica.org.uk

An event for full TRIUMPH Enthusiast participation