[TR] L means what?

dorpaul dorpaul at bellsouth.net
Wed Jul 9 07:35:57 MDT 2008

OK.
So the more number of chassis's identified a LHD, the better.  As these were
headed to the USA (or possibly elsewhere?)

But am I right in saying that there is no difference in a TR2 - TR3 chassis
just because it's LHD?  Furthermore, if that's the case, are you aware of
any RHD bodies being fitted to LHD chassis (OR vica versa)'?  (Not that it
matters)
Paul

Phil Ethier wrote:
> Because that's the way Triumph felt like doing it.

While many of the codes were established and in use pre-1939 by Standard
Motor Company, additional
codes were introduced post-war - and the L suffix was one of them. It was
incorporated in the
commission number as a notifier of the number of cars exported from the UK
and on which the company
would not have to pay or levy purchase tax. Additionally, the more cars that
could be produced with
an L suffix, the greater the apportionment of steel from very limited
available stocks. Many
overlook the fact that the UK was bankrupt in 1945, its industrial
infrastructure was shattered and
raw materials to make virtually anything had to be imported. Ergo, the more
of anything that could
be sold overseas for valuable foreign exchange, the better.

Jonmac

--
It has removed 764 spam emails to date.