[TR] L means what?

John Macartney standardtriumph at btinternet.com
Wed Jul 9 01:03:03 MDT 2008

Phil Ethier wrote:
> Because that's the way Triumph felt like doing it.

While many of the codes were established and in use pre-1939 by Standard Motor Company, additional
codes were introduced post-war - and the L suffix was one of them. It was incorporated in the
commission number as a notifier of the number of cars exported from the UK and on which the company
would not have to pay or levy purchase tax. Additionally, the more cars that could be produced with
an L suffix, the greater the apportionment of steel from very limited available stocks. Many
overlook the fact that the UK was bankrupt in 1945, its industrial infrastructure was shattered and
raw materials to make virtually anything had to be imported. Ergo, the more of anything that could
be sold overseas for valuable foreign exchange, the better.

Jonmac