[TR] Car trailers

Mike Denman mikedenman at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 9 00:17:34 MDT 2008

The list seems to have a very deep knowledge base on a variety of
subjects. I am in the planning process of building a car trailer and
need some help. In the past, I have looked at the commercially
available trailers and have copied their designs for my own use. This
time I want to actually have some real data to use in the design.
Specifically, I would like to know the relative bending strength of
square or rectangular tubing compared with Steel Channel (force
applied vertically to the channel) For example, what size
tubing(height, width, and wall thickness) would be roughly equal the
strength of 3 inch channel? And where can you find this information?
Thanks,
Mike Denman