[TR] brake hub bolts

Tom Note tom628 at verizon.net
Mon Jul 7 20:10:49 MDT 2008

Are British fine thread bolts different in thread form or pitch from  AN or
SAE bolts?
I'm replacing the brake rotors on our TR6,and thought I'd replace the old
original hub bolts with new AN6-24 (3/8-24) aircraft bolts. But they won't
fit. The bolt will start. and then stop after about 1/2 turn.
As close as I can tell w/o a thread gage the pitch appears to be the same.
Both thread into a 3/8-24 nut, though the Brit bolt appears to fit just
slightly looser.
So, the AN bolt won't work, yet if I try  an SAE grade 8 bolt of the same
size it works fine, just like the Brit bolt. (Shoulder-to-thd. ratio is not
right tho.)
Just wondered if others have come across this, and what the reason for it
is.

Thanks,
Tom