[TR] TR3A Fuel Guage

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Jul 6 09:50:46 MDT 2008

> Although I had my fuel guage, along with all my others,
> rebuilt at MoMa's, I confess they came back unhappily shabby.

That is very strange.  Have you called and asked for an explanation?  Seems
like there must be some mistake.

>  the fuel guage reads dead empty most of the time, although very
> rarely it pegs to the other side.

That sounds typical of a gauge that is not securely grounded.  Is there a
ground wire for the gauge?  Although not mentioned in any of the factory
literature (AFAIK), I believe there should be a ground wire, with a ring
terminal and 'star' lockwasher under the nut that holds the gauge.  The
other end of the wire goes to the ground point on the back of the gauge
panel.

> I suspect the guage, but to rule out the sending unit, would
> it work to hook a variable pot to the fuel guage in place of
> the sending unit, then slowly adjust the pot to look for
> movement of the needle?

Should work fine.

There's more than you could ever want to know about testing the gauge, at
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/electric/fg_01.htm
The resistances given may not be exactly right for a TR3, but otherwise the
gauge is identical.

Randall