[TR] what a blast!

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Jul 3 17:20:44 MDT 2008

> To relay or not to relay. That is the question.

I would suggest adding both a relay and a suppression diode to reduce arcing
at the relay points.  The stock horns are quite loud, if they are properly
adjusted and you get enough current to them; but the horn contacts and the
wiring to them tend to limit the current available.

But you'll need to either find a 4-terminal relay, or alter the wiring to
the stock horns somewhat.  The 3 terminal relays (at least the ones I found)
assume that they have to supply 12v to the horns rather than grounding them.
And because the horns are highly inductive loads, you want a "horn" relay
with oversize contacts rather than a standard relay.

Randall